Sunday, January 24, 2010

L-C-A-B-L...

No matter what! Yesterday I didn't care if it was raining, snowing, blowing, whatever...I was riding outside. Forecast had some rain in it so I had every piece of rain gear I owned at the ready. Didn't need any of it. Ended up with bibs, knee warmers, shoe covers, long sleeve jersey(s), & a vest. Temp in the 40's wind chill in the 30's, perfecto!

Thought I'd throw in a picture of the ol' Jetta. The stalling out problem from this summer has disappeared, but I haven't taken it out of Lincoln just to be safe. I ran a can of expensive fuel system cleaner through it & either that or I don't what cured the stalling issue for now. The last few weeks she's seen a lot of action, on most days I've opted to bag my 3 mile two-wheeled commute & drive the ol' Jetta instead. I miss my ride to & from work but it's supposed to be enjoyable not a white knuckler on the snow & ice between my house & the office. She's not stalling but an exhaust hanger rusted through & the exhaust is resting on a frame member & rattles like crazy when you're driving. Also a hole has opened up where this point of contact is & its loud & sometimes smelly in the cockpit. Should probably get it fixed, I know my neighbor would like that when I start it up around 6:00am on drive days:)
Met up at 8:00 at D. Group splintered once we hit 14th south of Pine Lake. As we passed Wilderness we spied a bald eagle take off from the creek just before the parking area, right on!

weapon of choice, sepia style...
old man...
farmer brown...
Gravel is UN-rideable! Ok...it might be rideable but rideable is a broad term. We had committed to this being a road ride at the beginning of the journey. 77 to Cortland, whatever road that is over to Adams, North to Bennet & back in on Hwy 2.
C-bread & I landed in Bennet for our just reward, throw backs, sepia style...
Best ride of 2010:) 73.9 miles, 4 hours 33 in the saddle. Legs were real good until that last hill coming into Lincoln by Walmart...ouch.

Later,

TK

4 comments:

Cornbread said...

I just figured out the title of the post. Man, I'm slow.

Great ride yesterday! Gravel is back on the menu!

t-nuts said...

saturday was sweet! got out in the afternoon yesterday after it "warmed up", saw FOB & m-dub coming in. they said gravel was rideable early but was getting soft again. checked it out by Kawasaki but it was getting sloppy & passed. with this weeks low temps we should have a chance:)

Mark Studnicki said...

What do you mean gravel un-ridable? That looks perfect to me. We would have made a short loop including that road and did 20laps down it. Single file with no fenders so you get plenty of spray. "Harden the you know what" i say :-)

t-nuts said...

didn't want to leave any ruts & ruin it for those that ride after me:)