Saturday, April 18, 2009

today, or yesterday, or whenever you read this...

Friday...heading out for the "see if anything falls off ride".  Hudson has a question about my use of spacers.  Don't worry about it little buddy, I know what I'm doing.  Scottyd your more of a gambler than I, I have to do the shakedown ride the day before.

HWY 2 to Bennet, cars & trucks blowing by me at 65+, at least there's a shoulder.  South on 43, cars blowing by me 50, 60+...no shoulder, bummer.  Its been a while since I've been on the road, how about giving me a little more (insert profanity here) space!  Roca Rd...aaaaah, lightly traveled byway, nice rollers & a tailwind.  See this isn't so bad.  Through Roca & the trail was calling me, jumped on to get some dirt on the tires.  Oh yeah...buh-ling!!  RXL road as well.  I've generally got pretty sturdy knees so I'm testing them out with 2 new pairs of shoes, hopefully accurate cleat positioning, & a new bike.  Wish me luck. 
mixed message...don't worry it was .89

I've strayed.  Today, yesterday...whatever.  Rolled out at 8:00 am headed for D St., made it 4 blocks & put on my rain coat.  Showed up partially wet & an hour early, I missed the memo about 9:00 am start.  DK & I chilled, all good.  FOB, C-bread, DK & myself rolled out at 9:20. Gravel was sloppy & slow.  Slogged around for a 2.5 hours, 36 miles when I rolled up my drive. Tired legs for such a short jaunt.  

I've got about 2 hours until round 2, tractor test track crit @ 3:30.  I am so far from crit fast right now its not funny.  Ask me to grind out a fast 60, 70, 80, 100+ gravel jam...no problem. Fast twitch, what's that?  I showed up, I'll leave it at that.  I stayed with the group & killed myself closing gaps at the rear of the field.  I'm actually somewhat encouraged that I didn't detonate immediately.  The test track was billed as 1/2 mile oval?  Hmmm...I'd say the straights were approx. 100 yards & the ends were real short.  I'm leaning towards 1/3 mile, but what do I know.  Slightly banked made the outside/in line preferred.  UNL Cycling crew did a good job pulling this all off.

A few odd things happened at the race, a couple firsts & a scenario I've been a part of before.  A first...a rider is DQ'd for swearing, a second first...a rider snaps a chain & borrows a bike, takes a free lap & gets back in the race & finally (I've seen this one before) there's confusion with 2 to go & we ended up doing an extra lap.  A lot going on...plus the buzz kill of a team mate hitting the deck.

What the hell am I doing up at almost 11:00 pm?  I had to get my TT bike down from the rafters in the garage so I can do my first TTT with JT & Coach tomorrow morn,  something different for sure.  I mentioned to Coach it should be a good time as long as we don't crash each other out.

Later,

TK


2 comments:

ScottyD said...

Who's the gambler? Not one but two new pair of shoes? I'm scared shitless to change my cleats let alone my shoes. Same pair of Sidis since 1994. When they go I know I'll have all kinds of knee issues.

Plus I don't like to think of it as gambling as much as PRO level procrastination.

Cornbread said...

Way to go yesterday during the crit. You looked like you were riding great.