Saturday, April 25, 2009

hundee, the hard way...

Today's plan...go big!  Only thing standing in my way is NNE 20 mph winds & the threat of rain. I decided to be satisfied if I could at least throw down a hundee, I'd consider it a victory.  No real plan, just ride.  Yep, windy as hell.  NW 27th to BO Rd., I was thinking Ceresco as my Northern most stop.  Decision time...fight the headwind heading North to Ceresco or fight the cross-wind & big rollers on BO Rd.  Below: I chose the cross winds, rollers, & a sweet dirt section.  For good measure, it started to mist.
New territory as I pushed further & further East...Forced stair steps due to road layouts dumped me in Ashland.  To this point, 40+ miles of wind either in my face or roaring in my left ear...
Had to leave Ashland on pavement, but headed South on 274th MMR...
Stopped by an old cemetary to check things out.  Lots of burials from the late 1800's...
Bridge out that crosses I-80 so I had roll down an embankment through the construction site & shoot a gap in traffic to cross.  Sounds sketchy but went pretty smooth, retreat is not an option. Wind at my back, I started to get the vibe I was heading for home.  Not yet...headed east at 262nd & Waverly Rd. to the familiar sound of the wind hammering my left ear.  When I rolled by Murdock a few miles later I had no real idea that's where I was until I got there.  Below: 322nd & Waverly Rd, now its time to head South.  As I finished this dirt section it started to mist/rain again. I was basically dried out from the earlier hour long bout with the mist & here came round 2. This one hung around for a while.  I eventually would be pretty much soaked through.
At the 80.7 mark I paused to call home.  Below: this is my WTF am I doing out here look...

End of pictures.  Time to get back to Lincoln.  Had to get creative as I neared Lincoln to make sure I got the hundee.  5 miles from home I hit the wall.  Rolled in on empty.  

104.1

Later,

TK

 

3 comments:

jamesb said...

I used to stop at this old cemetery 20 mi east of Ord, NE. There was a ton of graves from the same year in the 1800's. I think it was like 1857? Weird. Looks like a great ride!

Today on the way home along 112th, there was this pack of dogs that had something "treed" and this dude with a huge shotgun. As I passed by he shouldered the gun, and after I slowed within 50 feet of him to watch this scene, he started taking shots at whatever was in the tree. I had to laugh at the adventures our gravel rides bring us. Especially only 2 miles off of 84th!

t-nuts said...

Hey man, great hearing from you.

I forgot to mention something about Saturday's ride, you jogged my memory.

I saw a pack of 3 dogs coming towards me from a farm house, all pretty big. Right away I could tell by their attitude they were friendly. I slowed then stopped & they all gathered around a greeted me. That doesn't happen to often.

Take care James.

TK

Cornbread said...

Happy Hundy! I was wondering if you were getting wet North of town as the rain started in Lincoln around 9.