Sunday, February 1, 2009

the reserve tank...

Corey & I had Wilber on the brain, both looking for 80 miles on this gorgeous last day of January.
Group split along the way, Coach's party looking for the mythical Oregon Trail marker east of Milford & 5 of us continuing south to the Czech Capitol. Below: Not even 1/2 way there.

Czeching out the local museum.
Phone rang, Matt T & Coach are just south of Crete. We headed North & hooked up with the westward explorers, they had found their prize!

As we near Lincoln I start to realize that were going to end up quite short of our planned 80. We hit 14th & Rokeby & were about 13 short. Decision time, bail & head home, settle with about 71? or keep going. Corey & I decide to keep going & head south on 14th. This where it starts to get ugly. Apparently my body was thinking it was close to home because after we made that right turn to the south, it revolted. Heading south into the wind it only took about a quarter mile before I realized I was done for the day. Time for survival-mode. I'll leave out the gory details, but I was digging super deep to continue. Turning back was not an option, had to grind it out. I haven't mentioned, while I'm in my own personal hell, Corey is just plowing along like were on mile 30 or something. Animal.

83.6 miles, 5 hrs 33 minutes ride time. Son of a....

Meeting up again today but nothing epic...we'll see.

Later,

TK



2 comments:

Cornbread said...

Thanks for finishing out the ride with me. That was a great day!

jamesb said...

ONe time, Cornb passed me on mile 40 of an 80ish mile Enduro (Laramie) and was whistling dixie. He asked me "aren't you glad you decided to do this?"...I basically said "I'm not making any decisions right now (I was in my own personal hell)". I totally know wht you are talking about...