Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Boulder Cup...the longer version

The folks who put on these races do an unbelievable job, DBC Events. Harlow Platts is like a mini-Nationals and the reservoir course is hard to describe, its sort of a barren landscape peppered with goat heads. The weekend starts at the reservoir, if you survive racing on the surface of the moon, you are rewarded with Harlow Platts on Sunday. The course was described as 10% sand, 10% pavement, & 80% grass. Grass is a relative term, I'd call it more like 10% grass & 70% a sandy, bumpy, dusty lunar landscape. To those who race with any regularity at the reservoir you probably develop a love/hate relationship with the venue, for outsiders visiting yearly you are left wondering what you just went through. I'm starting to love the venue, or hate it, I'm not sure.
Harlow Platts is as good as it gets. Fast grass, flowing corners, sand, brilliant barrier sections (the addition of the stairs this year was superb), just the right amount of everything. Both venues need to be experienced to be appreciated.

You know you've got a good thing going as a promoter when you can
raise the entry fee by 25% over last year, eliminate all the payouts except for the elite's & still have huge turnouts. I'll be back, it was worth every penny.

How can you go wrong when you've got your Dad in the pits on Saturday cheering you on & your bro working the pits on Sunday yelling his head off. My brother kept yelling something like "get some!" or something like that, it was kind of funny but strangely appropriate. Also in my corner, my Mom, my wife, & our 2 dogs.

You know you're in someone else's house when each race starts by calling up the local series leader's. The first 2 rows both days were are all locals, I did mange to jump in the 3rd row each
day, can't complain.

I'm sure there's more but...looking forward to next year.

Leavenworth this Sunday.

Later,

TK

3 comments:

ScottyD said...

After two days of altitude racing Leavenworth should feel like a walk in the park.

Greg said...

Well done this weekend! And yes, The Rez is on the hate side, of my love/hate with it.

t-nuts said...

scott - I like your optimism.

greg - Thanks man. Didn't actually "meet" you but I was 3rd wheel when you went down in the sand & right behind you when you realized your rear brake was buggered. That sand section was humbling to put it mildly. See you in KC.

TK