Monday, October 20, 2008

my "ok-ness"


Boulevard Cup, 4 years ago I drove down w/ my dad to race the inaugural Boulevard Cup as a "B". I won, my dad was pretty stoked. I still have the pint glass trophy, we use it as a votive holder. My dad made himself at home during my race, just about every lap I went by him he was eating a plate of food or drinking something provided by the race hosts.

Last year in the 1/2/3's it was one of those rare races when 5 or 6 guys are together going at it lap after lap. Not for the win but for 5th through 10th. By rare races I mean when you've only got 20 guys starting it inevitably thins out & there's a lot of singles out on the course. I think I ended up 9th or something but it was memorable, a good time.

I didn't mention 3 years ago course because it was forgettable, this year it was memorable only because with the wind blowing a bit & the course softened up from recent rains it ended up being tough. For those who couldn't get the engine humming you know what I'm talking about.

I heard 21 starters at the line, I slotted in 10th at the finish. Should I be happy with that, probably not. How do I feel about it? Ok I guess. I actually rode pretty well.

What will I remember most about yesterday's race? With maybe 4 to go, I approach a barrier section over by the skate park. Approach is good, speed is good, but I caught my left toe on the barrier & pile drive my head into the ground. I get up, birds chirping merrily around my head, dazed for sure. My helmet is cock-eyed, my glasses are cock-eyed, & my head is spinning. A brief pause to regain my composure & I take off again. Pretty sure no one witnessed this, it was ugly.

Thanks to all the folks cheering me on & shouting encouragement.

White skinsuit survived the mud holes.

Des Moines this weekend for 2 days, looks like I might be testing out the white skinsuit in the mud again.

http://www.spookycross.org/Spookyflyer08.pdf

Later,

TK

2 comments:

ScottyD said...

You pulled a Nys!

t-nuts said...

I did.

Top step man, nice job Sunday!

TK