Monday, October 27, 2008

$2.08

Spooky Cross Year 2. Had so much fun last year had to come back. This year showed up with 3 team mates Ryan, Tom, & Craigio. Tom & I opted to double up both days lured in by the cash payout in the master's race. Arrived early Saturday to find a slightly soggy & slightly muddy circuit. All of us decided to do the early races in older (not-white) kits instead of our team issue white topped affair. JJ & Tony know how to be creative when designing a course. I raved about their courses last year & they lived up to my expectations again this year. I can't even begin to describe the two courses, so I won't. Ask me sometime when you've got a few minutes & I'll elaborate. One element I have to mention is from Sunday's course. In order to access a section of the property they had to have a crane bring in 4 phone poles to span a creek. Then they took 3/4" plywood to make a surface, stapled some indoor/outdoor carpet on top & there you had your creek crossing, it was like 25' across. They put a barrier right in front to get you off the bike & running across the bridge. Freaking ambitious to say the least, totally successful because the section they opened the race into had multiple short, steep, painful climbs. Well done guys!!!
Here's my personal recap:
Race 1- Master's 40+...3rd
Race 2- 1/2/3's...3rd
Race 3- Master's 40+...3rd
Race 4- 1/2/3's...5th

Highlights: Race 2 was a lap after lap throwdown with Sean Walker (Bikes 2 You) 25-30 seconds back, dude wouldn't give up. Race 4 was a lap after lap, wheel to wheel throwdown with Andy Lueck (Rasmussen). He attacked up the most severe climb w/ 2 to go & I couldn't answer. Well done my friend.

Tom dominated the Master's, & was a force both days in the 1/2/3's with a 2nd & 3rd.
Craigio had a 6th in Master's Day 1 & a wild ride for 9th in the Master's Day 2. You'll have to ask him about that one.
Ryan had a 3rd in the 3/4's on Saturday fighting back after a mechanical & a strong 6th in the 1/2/3's Sunday.

A really good weekend for the Midwest Wheelmasters.

http://cyclingupdate.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=403&Itemid=29


Now all we have to do is get those in charge in KS & NE to get together with those in IA & try to not cross-schedule events. I know its tough, maybe impossible, but this is a weekend that should not have to battle with other races on neighboring states schedules. Probably just a dream but as long as I'm around I'm going to pimp this event & keep coming back! The Iowa folks are an awesome crew, I've been coming over for the last 4 years. See you all at Jingle Cross.

Team Skin dude that gave me the cross DVD's, thanks! I'm usually good with names. When I figure it out I'll update.

I got gas Saturday morning in Lincoln $2.49, got to Des Moines $2.15. Later the same day $2.09. The next morning$2.08. Got back to Lincoln, $2.49. WTF!

Later,

TK

2 comments:

How do i get to my old stuff said...

No kidding on the cross scheduling problem. There's not enough racers to populate every race. If IA, KS and NE got together, we could have a fantastic regional calendar. This would be a special boon to the women's field which is so small, we really can't afford to split it across events.

Andy said...

Gas is always cheaper here, we got more corn which means more ethanol. Good racing thing weekend, had fun dueling it out on Sunday.