Saturday, June 26, 2010

ignorant gravel...

Opted out of the 5 am ride & rolled out at 7:18 am. At 14th & the Jamaica I happened on this guy & his owner, they apparently were out for a long one because they were both loaded up with extra supplies. A long run that is, I said have a good day & he responded with the same in a British accent?
No plan today, just ride & see where I ended up. After a very quick pit stop in Cortland I decided to head for the trinity of dirt that I had visited last summer about this time...

120th & Cherry the road ended, arrows said left or right. I chose straight, I'm not passing up on that grassy double track disappearing over the horizon...

ok, still good...
Then not so good, ended up grinding through some tall grass until I found a ride-able corridor through the corn. This corn appeared to have had the tops cut off? Hail damage followed by some sort of damage control? Stamper...what do you think?

Looking back...
Disclaimer: if some of these photos look hazy it may be due to my lens being sweaty from my pocket. Actually, as hot & humid as it was it just adds some special effects.

The corner. I hadn't planned this but I ended up all the way down at the Gage & Johnson Co. line. Hell, all I had to do was roll North & I'd end up in Otoe Co. & would have an unplanned 4 county jam in the works, sweet...

606th Ave & 729th Rd., Johnson County baby...

I did head North but took a long look east into Johnson Co., another day...

This is where the gravel ignorance kicks in. I sort of had an idea where I was but underestimated how far it was to Bennet which I believed to be my next refuel. Bennet ended up being about 24 miles & I arrived there way out of water & on the dehydration side of things. Here's the real kicker...when I rode by 176th & Birch Rd. I was only 1 freaking mile from Adams! Due to my lack of knowledge of the area & a thick tree line I couldn't see the town. I didn't realize this until way up the road as I started to process my surroundings. If I could have stopped there I wouldn't have rolled into Bennet in need of mass hydration. Dumb-ass.

That kind of took the wind out of my sails & I decided to take the quickest route back to Lincoln to cut my losses as I have another adventure planned for tomorrow. Where? I have no idea.

Anyway...left @ 7:18 am & was home by 12:40 pm, 83 miles, 4 counties, & a better understanding of the gravel SE of Lincoln.

Later,

TK

3 comments:

Joshua Stamper said...

What you observed was hail damaged followed by the compensation mechanism that is commonly know as "crazy top" or "frenching" as we would call it in tobacco production. The plant rapidly tries to compensate for the loss of photosynthetic material (leaf area)by producing lots of leaves at the later stages of vegetative growth, so that the plant will be able to support reproductive growth (ear production). its not uncommon in cereal grasses that are damaged by wind or hail. Hail damaged corn is also especially susceptible to insect and disease damage. So most farmers will just abandon a field that is as badly damaged as the one you observed if they have crop insurance.

Cornbread said...

Looks like you found some great gravel for Worlds. I haven't really explored that area.

Aaron Pool said...

beautiful