Saturday, May 1, 2010

worm races...

Time to move on, T.I. is in the rear view mirror & fading fast. A few things were a given for Saturday's ride...direction was going to be SW into the wind, distance had to be a hundee plus (duh), & new territory had to be explored. I looked on the map this morning & examined destinations to the West of Wilber. A historical marker recognizing the blizzard of 1888 caught my eye, just a mile or so North of Milligan. Lets call it a destination hundee, its all the rage.

I didn't plan on stopping in Wilber, I was going to skirt it & make my first stop Milligan. Actually, I didn't stop in Wilber, just rolled through. I was forced into town because of a lack of roads (none) that cross the river between Hallam Rd. & Wilber. Anyway, I did stop & took a picture. Vitame Vas - "we welcome you".
Back on course County Rd. O. Pick your line & just keep pedaling, this was actually the second longest wooden bridge of the day...
20 miles of relatively flat headwind miles later, Milligan. Asked an old woman (later found out she was 90) if there was a store open in town. She pointed me to a butcher shop that also sold convenience store-like items. She was originally from Florence, NE (North Omaha) but had lived here for 40 years. I told her I had ridden down from Lincoln but she still asked me twice where my car was only to catch herself & suddenly remember I had traveled by bike. She also said I had nice legs, like a woman. Ummm...a compliment, I think?
This historical marker was allegedly a mile or so North of town just off the road, never found it. For this stories sake I took this picture & we'll just call it the marker recognizing the blizzard of 1888...
Lots of flat dirt & wide open skies...
it's always a good day on the bike...
MMR guardians...
they let me pass...
Hmmm? Road closed, or is it? I could see double track on the other side, better check it out...
Walked around the sign & yep, double track. I could see more MMR just up ahead & another road block...
Ahhhh, bridge is out...
but I can see MMR...
Climbed down to the creek bed & up the other side...

the payoff...
"road closed", bullshit...
gotta represent...
So...Milligan, then Friend, & then made a pit stop in Milford. Rang the bell leaving town on Sunset Rd. with about 20 to go back to Lincoln. Almost forgot, the stretch between Friend & Milford had an 11 mile tailwind motorpace which featured a section of 5 straight miles of dirt! A first for me.

Beyond Milford found myself at the SW 182nd & Sunset Rd. MMR entrance, "no outlet", bullshit...
a little more climbing & I'm on West Van Dorn with a killer tailwind carrying me home...
worm races...
So what's up for tomorrow? More of the same:)

Later,

TK

1 comment: