Monday, November 9, 2009

another road trip down...

Saturday Night - Topeka Heartland Park. This is a rare night race for us, under the lights at the famous dragstrip venue. Actually we race right next to the strip utilizing the dirt track oval. Topeka local/racer/gas man Jeff Unruh did a great job putting this on, again. To make this work he brings in big portable lights to illuminate any areas that the standard track lighting doesn't cover. A ton of fun for the racers. As we drove into the venue he's announcing "Nebraska in the house!" over the track PA & then proceeded to allow us rock star parking to set up tents & our base camp right next to the action. Thanks man! We'll always be back & spread the word.

The racing - fast! Multiple long straight away runs on hard pack. Fast! Wood-man jumped to the lead group on lap one & maintained a gap to us chasers for a solid 5th, the last $ spot. Sweet. I hung around finishing in 9th, ok I guess.

Back to TP's around 10:30pm & in bed by Midnight. I'm old, that's late. Thanks guys for a being such generous hosts. Home away from home is an understatement.

Up at 6:30am, next stop Leavenworth for Veterans CX at St. Mary's College. Great venue they just started using at the end of last year. Chris Locke & Roger laid out yet another great course. Plenty of uphill to make it a tough day.

I ended up in a group of three for the whole race. Me, the spider monkey, & the young Mr. Edwards. Adam I would have put a link to your blog but I got a warning it contained malware from Brad Huff's blog. My two cohorts plan, both being from the KCCX squad, was work over the old guy until he cracks. The good news is I answered every attack. Bad news is I answered every attack except for the final one. I ended up 7th. Last $ spot. Sweet. Amazing how a $15 dollar payout can brighten your afternoon. Battling lap after lap like that is what makes this sport so much fun. Thanks Roger & Lyle for the photos!

Maybe back to this same venue next Sunday for a day trip? Unsure. We've got our race the following weekend & I've got to get the house ready for my parents lengthy stay (their staying here with the dogs while were at nationals).

Less than 2 weeks until Lincoln CX. Looking forward to it!

later, TK

No comments: