Saturday, June 6, 2009

it could have been worse...

My wife is from the Norfolk area, her grandmother is laid up from going Rokke on her heal (shattered & surgically pieced back together) by falling into the steeplechase pit at the University of Northern CO graduation, so we were coming up here anyway...

What's the worst that could happen?  Get dropped & ride part of the race solo?  Hell I've done that before, hell I've even done it at this race, twice! That's when I was supposedly going good too. Well...stay tuned.  

Forecast was for SE wind, it was NE.  When I arrived at the Stanton County Fairgrounds it was wet from last night's rain but not raining today, yet.  I hopped on the trainer & just spun out the legs for 30 minutes as the drizzle began & slowly intensified.  Temps in the low 50's.  The call to the line was answered by about 25 cold, wet, shivering rider's for the 1/2/3 event. 

As we rolled out we went from wet to soaked from a combo of road spray & the drizzle that continued for a while longer.  I have no idea when it actually let up because we were drenched to the bone.  

A few hard efforts on the first eastern leg, feeling ok.  A few more as we turn south & just like that...I'm done.  No surprises here, I haven't trained for it so that's what I get.  Its all good though, I went into it expecting this outcome & it came as no surprise.  I immediately switched into riding my own race mode & off I went.  Picked up a couple Iowa State dudes about 5-6 miles later & three of us rotated to the end of the first lap.  The Hawkeye's bailed at the turn & I could see a rider coming across back down the road a bit.  I've never dropped out of  race, crashed out yes, but never quit so I kept going & was joined by Jon V. a couple miles later.  Jon was the rider bridging up to me, he had flatted early in the race & rode his ass off to get to this point.

We joined forces & enjoyed each others company for the remaining 30 or so miles.  Tempo riding mostly.  We finished together with smiles on our faces.  Good riding with you man.

You know what...64 miles, 20.4 average, pretty good training ride.  I've got to start somewhere. My legs are tired for the effort.  Glad I showed up.

Lets talk about tomorrow.  I'm not racing the crit, what I'm doing right now is not racing.  Sure I could line up but be off the pace a few hard efforts later.  I'd just be in the way & I don't need that mental beatdown.  I've got some work to do.

As usual the Norfolk crew put on a good race & tomorrow's venue will be more of the same. Get on up here if you're on the fence about coming.

Driving back to Norfolk from Stanton I heard "Ride Captain Ride", that song is dope!  Good end to the day.

Found the below Phish version of The Blues Image classic...

Later, 

TK

BTW - a guy I met down in KS last weekend is putting on an event, check this out:


2 comments:

ScottyD said...

I did more than my fair share of "swimming" in the steeplechase pit in college. That thing is deep! Hope your wife's grandma gets well quick. Damn steeplechase will be the death of us all.

Today while riding a random thought popped into my head: With all that base TK has in his legs, if he starts doing speed work he's going to RIP peoples legs off in CX. I got scared & started riding harder.

Sport said...

Great tune. It really is a mystery ship. Who knows what we will be riding next year, frame? components? wheels? "And the friends you take on the trip" Great riding with you. Have a good week; hope to see you Tues. for a little speed work.