Saturday, December 11, 2010

fizzle...

...many words could describe yesterday's season finale, but fizzle is about spot on. My 5th row start position & the anticipation of a 45 minute slug-fest in the slop had my mental state, I'll call it...unhealthy. I was in full on "lets get this shit over" mode.

I guess it's only fitting that I flatted a rear tubular half-way through the 6 lap event. So instead of riding my bike through the muck I was forced to run with my bike for about a 1/2 mile. I may have been ready for the season to be over, but that didn't mean I was going to go down with out at least trying. The jog to the pit seemed to take forever. Down a paved section, through a back and forth section in the muddy grass (which included a big muddy water hole), over the flyover, more muddy grass, up the stair feature, more muddy grass, up the finish straight with Richard Fries yelling over the PA that I was experiencing difficulty, through turn one, & finally the pit with Nate & Mod waiting with my pit bike which was way past due for new brake pads.

My reward for this effort...1 more lap & the official pulling me with all the other back-markers. I was on my way back through the field but my day was done, guilty by association...fizzle. 60th out of around 112, whatever.

Frankly, I wasn't really moving up that fast before the flat. What would have happened over the last 3 laps if I hadn't flatted...I guess we'll never know. I do know I'm leaving here with a chewed up knee, bruised ribs, & a sore hip:)

What now? Mod finishes up this morning in the massive 40-44 category & Nate this afternoon in the 35-39. Right after Nate's, actually Mr. Bonsall is in Nate's race riding one of my bikes, we head for Portland & then home early tomorrow!!!!


Signing off...

Later,

TK

TP is first on the schedule this morning, shooting it out with Tilford (and others) for the 50-54 championship.

2 comments:

Coach said...

Good season Troy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for the bike TK... that was a good time.