Friday, December 11, 2009

greetings from oregon...

Day 1...


yep it was pretty cold. you know its cold when the course workers are using a big construction drill to penetrate the ground to put in the stakes. I think the day peaked out at around 22 degrees but it was clear & the winds were mild. Bend had around 4 inches of snow this week so its both super-cold & the ground is covered with snow.


Matt T & Wood-man raced at 11:00 am & it was about 11 degrees. Something new for the B races this year, they determined the start positions by lottery. Probably the fairest method...if it goes your way. Matt was mid pack-ish & clawed his way up to a 9th place finish. Wood-man...back row baby! Didn't matter though, he pulled off a shinanigan-filled 16th. Nice rides boys!


TP & my race was the last event of the day, 3:30 pm. The course was slick to start and then out and out icy by the half-way point as the sun dropped behind the mountains. Probably a little late to start a race this time of year in the mountains but whatever. Oh yeah, the lottery system...TP & I were back row. I'm talking about dead last. It was actually kind of comical as we looked at the sea of guys on the grid in front of us. Not a position I'm too familiar with.


I'll cut to the chase...TP went back to front & got 3rd!!! Myself, I fought my way up to 20th. It was just pass, pass, pass & then pass, pass, pass some more. I had a good time. Call it a practice race. I've got my 45-49 today. 3:30 again, whatever:)


Craigio had a run in with a course stake that ended his race before it really even got going. The crowd didn't even have a chance to grab the dollar bills he safety-pinned all over his jersey.


Supposed to get up to freezing today, bring it on! Snow/rain tomorrow?


Later,


TK

2 comments: