Sunday, December 20, 2009

day 1...

I hadn't really ridden a bike since a week ago Friday. Actually, I did ride my road bike on the trainer Wednesday night for 30 minutes because I was bored out of my skull. Enough of this off season crap...time to get back to it. I had to suppress the urge to go big on gravel day 1 & decided to just go check things out for a while. I have to tip my hat to the Lancaster County road crews, the gravel is in the best shape I have ever seen it. Smooth, hard packed, & completely cleared of snow. I wish I could say the same about the side streets here in town. No white rock & no thick gravel, just wide & fast roads. Even the dirt was primo, the plows had made a pass on those as well.
ok...not everything was cleared. I passed on this, you could see some ski tracks along the right side though.
day 1 self-portrait...
at this point I had jumped on the GLGA course (in reverse) at SW72nd & Wittstruck, I had little faith that this next section, W. Saltillo between SW 72nd & SW 84th, would be passable. It's usually rutted & often wet even in the summer. I was wrong, plow had even been through this gnarly section & it was as smooth as I'd ever seen it.
"that's right, smooth as I'd ever seen it..."
rolled into Denton & keeping in the PCL spirit purchased my Powerball ticket...
Old Cheney looking East, heading home...
2.5 hours & my legs are rubber as I right this...love it!

Hope everyone has a great holiday!

Later,

TK


1 comment:

jxw said...

Gravel was super smooth, I hit Old Cheney west Sun. to 112th north, all good, no snow or big rocks.