Sunday, October 25, 2009

Madison County CX...

Didn't know what to expect while preparing for yesterday's race at Skyview park in Norfolk. Norfolk not only had a bunch of rain this past week but also a couple inches of snow Thursday night. Actually, I was preparing for mud or at least sloppy conditions in some way, shape, or form. What kind of course would these guys put together? How many folks would make the 2+ hour drive from Lincoln, Omaha, or from points beyond?

Well...the park took all that water really well, unbelievably well to be honest. I had set up both my bikes with Michelin Mud tires & ended up running Grifo's with 30 psi at go time. I guess it makes sense to arrive early & test out what you've got.

The course...for not doing this before, the Elkhorn Valley Cycling Club "nailed it" as far as I'm concerned. Sure you could tweak this or that but basically it was a sweet layout. Really tough. Not many spots to rest & a good amount of climbing, all on semi-soft power sapping grass.

The race...I believe we only had 7 at the line. I was guessing we might have 10 so I was close. This race is new & a little off the beaten path but with word of mouth & a little time hopefully it will grow. I'm coming back. I ended up 2nd. Not much "racing" when a small field strings out over a big course...just keep the hammer down, work on technique, & have fun!

Editorial comment: I've been down south a few times to race this fall & the 1/2/3 races have been 50 minutes? What's up with that? As a matter of fact some of the cat 3 crits down there were only 50? Is cutting 10 minutes off of race times a sign of the times? Am I complaining...I guess so. We're only racing 5 more minutes (or so) than the lower category races. I want to suffer for 60 minutes:) IMHO - If a fast cat 3 cx'er is considering moving up to the 1/2/3's it should not only be a jump in level of competition but also a jump in race time. Racing the 1/2/3's for 50 or so minutes is still hard as hell, I'm just pointing out it used to be 60 minutes of suffering & I respectfully believe it should return to that standard of pain. You know the old expression: "be careful you might get what you wish for". Final comment: I appreciate all the hard work that each & every promoter puts into making racing happen, thank you!

I'm still up here in Norfolk so won't be making it to Smithville today. Wish I could. Like I said the other day...can't do it all.

Give 'em hell in Louisville guys! Coach...good luck today in Maui!

Later,

TK

3 comments:

Joshua Stamper said...

Troy,
If Bend, OR is not in the cards for you and the Lincoln contingent, we would love to have you down to Manhattan. A full 60 minutes of pain is guaranteed!
http://barnyardcx.blogspot.com/

mathguy said...

Good luck this weekend to you and Nate in Boulder!

t-nuts said...

Joshua...I'm heading to Bend but you know I'll spread the word!

Mathguy...should be interesting, don't know what to expect. Right now I'm just worried about getting out there:)