Sunday, August 23, 2009

grasshopper & arm warmer hundee...

5:30 am at D st, I confessed to Cornbread..."I can only ride for 12 hours today, sorry". Sounds funny, but we had big plans. Pre-ride the whole GLGA course to verify the cue sheets & look for any problems was the mission. Other fools in attendance: FOB, JB, M-dub, & MG. Ride started out in the low 50's, arm warmers were out. It's August right?
crazy dawn lowland fog...
First issue, actually the second, C-bread flatted right before this. Bridge is done just not officially open yet. Some friendly construction type guys gave us the green light...
beautiful out...
More trouble, pinch flat time. His 2nd flat of the day & we're only about 30 miles in...
BO Rd. behind us, but NW 40th alps ahead...
"Lincoln is that way". Not yet man, 10 more miles to Valpo...
FOB arrives...
New look RC...
chillaxin', Saunders Co. style...
visiting with one of the locals...
Our party divided at Valpo. I decided if I was going to be able to ride the whole course & still make my 12 hour deadline (home by 5:30 pm) I needed to start pushing the pace. C-bread & I rolled off heading to Malcolm & then Denton for our next 2 stops. Below: always a friendly face in Denton...
unsure...
a classic...
I must be having fun...
We made it to Cortland, 33 miles to go. This is the section that has eluded us due to darkness & disaster on our two previous attempts. Below: tunnel of corn, a newly discovered MMR section...
BTW - C-bread's tire has had a slow leak since before Malcolm. He's been airing it up every so often, bad tire-luck day is an understatement. We had to get out of this guy's way while pumping up his rear tire, we later passed him back. Friendly local for sure, waving & smiling.
Wrap up. We crushed the last hundee of the ride, 17.1 avg. back to the Mopac Trailhead. I rolled into my driveway at 5:46, 16 minutes late. Pretty good. Showered & sitting down at The Oven downtown at 6:15.

156.6 for the day, not bad. Good folks, good day.

Oh yeah...grasshoppers. They were everywhere today. Had one catch a ride on my front straddle cable & another hitched a ride on my shoulder for a few miles.

Later,

TK

2 comments:

Cornbread said...

Good to hear you made it to dinner on time. That route was bitchin'. Hope everyone enjoys it next week.

BTW, the mystery pic is the intersection of SW 86th and Kolbrook Rd. That's sad that I know that. :)

Anonymous said...

Good day for sure! You guys crushed that south section, nice work. You didn't even look tired at the Oven.