Sunday, May 31, 2009

DK double hundee, plus...

I don't even know where to begin...

Hot, humid, & a new course from hell. Oh yeah it was awesome!

All Nebraska podium:

1st - guy from Kearney, we're still trying to figure out who this guy was. A machine.

2nd - me

3rd - Corey, went deep in to the well, I'll let him elaborate. Epic.

Endurosnob & Aaron G. fought hard but racing in the KS oven was there undoing, warriors.

FOB crossed the line @ 2:06 am, perseverance!

Apparantly there were 85 starters & only 13 finishers (or something like that). That's how gnarly it was.

There's a lot of variables that contribute to finishing an event like this, you can't count out good luck as one of them. No flats! The roads we were racing on are indescribable. I've never seen roads like these, I didn't even know they existed let alone ridable on a cross bike. Rocks, rocks, & more rocks.

I was out on course for approximately 14 hours & 52 minutes, rode somewhere around 205 miles, with about an hour of that being at checkpoints trying to maintain fluid levels & rally to survive. Finished just before 9:00 pm, barely before dark.

The promoter's Jim, Joel, & staff put on a sick event. I'll be back.

Unsung hero awards: RockD's wife & grandson were at the 100 mile checkpoint to aid us in our assault. Ice cold water, Pepsi Throwbacks, & super-positive vibe. Thank You!

There's a dozen more subplots, stories, & experiences that transpired yesterday. I couldn't even begin to relate them all.

I'm not going to lie...I feel like I accomplished something big, real big.

Later,

TK



15 comments:

Joshua Stamper said...

Troy
Great job out there! My hat is off to all of yall that dug deep and finished. Good show!

sstevensinkc said...

Dude you rock!! Great job

TP said...

That's awesome! Can't wait for more details.

Sport said...

Nice job, TK and fellow "D" Streeters', impressive.

Anonymous said...

huge!!!

TIV6

Mark it up on your calendar. Your ready.

mathguy said...

I don't know how you do it-I'm in awe.

Cornbread said...

Great race Troy! Your rally at Alma was inspiring.

It was great to ride with ya. Looking forward to riding with ya in future events.

Viva la Gravel!

Coach said...

Nice job boys. That is an epic day in the saddle.

gpickle said...

No lie Troy, big accomplishment, nice riding out there

ScottyD said...

Your certifiable! CX is only an hour. 14 freaking hours?!? I want to throw my mtb off a cliff after 6.5 can't imagine 14. Great job!

jim craig said...

Nice job Troy. You are right. Their roads make ours look like the interstate.
Great finish.

t-nuts said...

to all...

thank you!

tk

LeLan Dains said...

Troy,
LeLan here, I was the one harassing you with the camera most of the day. You most certainly did accomplish something big, it was no small feat! Congrats on the great ride. But, I'm gonna harass you some more if you don't mind. We are doing a xc mtb race down here in Emporia (Hopefully you got a flyer in your DK bag) and I would greatly appreciate it if you would help spread the word in your area. Info can be found at crampalexanderrace.blogspot.com. Thanks and congrats again!

Endurosnob said...

The hangover is oh so natural. Great race, Troy. Looking forward to sharing the road with you again.

t-nuts said...

skip...enjoyed spending the weekend with you all. great trip, great company.