Sunday, April 15, 2012

schloppy hunge...

I'll admit I was scared off by the forecast...at first.  weather watching on friday night had me doubting that an adventure was going to take place.  I didn't finally get out the the door till after 8, determining the "window" was there & the worst that was going to happen was I would get rained on a bit.  It was over 60 degrees, so big deal.  Fog was the opening salvo, between the 100% humidity & being unable to wear glasses this was pretty much my view on the world heading out on the Jamaica...  
today was a full systems check for TI.  I've been riding around for weeks fully loaded but yesterday I had everything which basically just included a few more small items. rain jacket was one of those items...
surprised the B's heading south were very rideable, expected cocoa powder with the high humidity & rain we had on Thursday, but easily crossed the 4 mile S. 38th stretch with zero buildup, nothing.  I love a challenge but passed on this one today...
this was the last rideable mmr of the day, somewhere down near Filley.  the last...because about 20 minutes later the forecast caught up with me & the lightening, thunder, & rain found me...
so the second half of my day was rain & soft, greasy, wet gravel.  I asked myself...would I prefer a manageable headwind (these days wind in the teens seems like a break) and dry-ish roads or messy roads with a tail?  The picture below kind of answers that question...
2 hours of bike tear down followed the ride.  Nothing ruined but lifespan shortened on a few bits...

out the door at 8:10, back home at 2:33.  so how can I explain the the 8 minute gap between my 6:15 ride time and my 6:23 total time on the journey?  I stopped to pee twice, the 2nd time I removed my knee warmers & vest stowing them away. then I stopped to put on my rain jacket & later stopped to take off my rain jacket.  damn, that ate up 8 minutes. stopping is a time suck I tell ya!

the last .70 of my jam was spent railing it through my neighborhood to bag that hunge while trying to keep the avg. up:)

that concludes my training for TI, the time consuming part at least.  if your not ready now, well...I'll let you finish this thought.

later,

tk

No comments: