Saturday, January 8, 2011

tribute...

...to the commute. I've been riding this bike since '03, back & forth from the workplace. Some folks have been known to say, "we need to get you a mountain bike". Well, I've got a mountain bike. Had it since '03. I remember the innocent days of pre-'04, before racing, before gears. Back then I was convinced that bikes began & ended with one gear, why would you need more?
anyway,back to the commute...

If I were to guess that front Bontrager Revolt SuperX has been on there since '04/'05? I just recently replaced the rear SuperX because it had zero tread & cord showing. See my commute is only 3 miles one way, so I'm not too hard on the equipment. If I were to guess again...the brake pads on the Avid SingleDigit 7's are original. I don't remember ever changing them, as a matter of fact I have replacement pads in my tool box that I purchased years ago & never used.

The chain is either the 2nd but probably the 3rd? in all these years. Original BB, never been pulled (yikes) & the seat post has been in there since I built it up back in '03. May need a blow torch to remove those 2 items, that is if I ever have too. Stem has always been too long but never dealt with it. Phil Wood hubs, 32 spoke to Bontrager somethings? Never been trued, never needed to be. Rock solid, thanks Mean Todd.

Pace carbon fork, ordered it from England. Couldn't get it in the US back then, maybe still can't, I don't know. Gearing? I'd have to go look but I'm going to guess 36X17, maybe 16?

Its been the perfect commuter. Always gets me there and back, with little to zero maintenance. 350ish days a year. Again I'm guessing but there's at least a cumulative 2 weeks each year that I don't ride to the office for one reason or another.

thanks spottie...

Later,

TK


3 comments:

munsoned said...

That is some serious return on investment, buddy. I imagine that 'muter will last for however long you want it to as well.

Do you have any hills on your way to work? What's the distance?

I ask because I love the idea of using one gear year round, but some days have been too much with the few hills I have to conquer. Even if I put studs on for this coming week(which may be wise anyway), there's one hill at the end of my ride into work that's a little too much for the gear I chose. But going easier would be really annoying too. Well, that's the give/take of one gear, I guess.

jamesb said...

I have similar sentimetnal/tribute feelings for an '02 Rocky Mountain Blizzard hardtail with suspension front fork "air shock", former racer, now commuter.

However, mostly this past spring, I had to replace the front middle chainring, chain, rim brakes (front and rear...whole thing was corroded mess..avids), cables and rear casette.

I badly corroded any exposed drivetrain riding in the grey powdery road slush last winter season, so now I have full SKS fenders and see how it does. Mainly cause I'm too lazy after a ride to properly clean it.a At least I put cheap parts back on for winter.

Savery built me the wheels at Scheels on XT hubs with Mavic rims, they are holding true.

t-nuts said...

never thought of that, return on investment, hell yeah! commute is 6 miles round trip & pretty flat. trip might be short but yesterday was pretty sketchy...