Tuesday, August 26, 2008

CO training camp (revised 8.28.08)

Arrived in Fort Collins Sunday afternoon to begin a 3 day training camp. Actually I'm here because my mom is having 3 vertabrae fused w/ a combo of titanium plates & screws. This corrective surgery a result of a nasty car crash 1.5 years ago. The surgeons here are amazing, the prognosis is good & the likely hood of success is high. None the less, are there risks? Absolutely.
All that being said, I brought my bike(s). I brought my road bike & one of my nearly finished CX bikes (hoping to finish the build).
Day 1 - Rist Canyon to Masonville to Fort Collins. 56.1 miles. I was hoping to do something painful, I found it. About 13 miles uphill w/ some nasty bits at the top. The reward...15 miles downhill to Masonville on one of the most beautiful roads I've encountered in Larimer County.
Day 1 part 2 - I met up w/ old friends Stacey & Tony @ 5:30. I finished up my CX bike after my morning ride & we hit the roads for another 1.5 hours. Riding, talking, & just enjoying the beautiful evening. Finished off the night w/ Stacey whipping up a delicious post-ride tofu dish while Tony put the french press into overdrive. If I hadn't done so much riding yesterday I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep w/ all the caffine in me.
No pictures to post, just picture a beautiful CO memory & that'll do.
Unsure where I'll journey today, hopefully something painful again.
I miss Holly & the dogs.
Later,
TK

Day 2 (8-26-08) Horsetooth - Masonville - Carter Lake - Berthoud - Loveland - FC, 58.7 miles. Climbing legs felt much better today. New roads, great ride. Kept asking myself...why do we live in NE?

Day 3 - No ride but my mom's surgery was a success. Titanium plates connecting c3 to c4 & c5 to c6. Amazing stuff. At 10:30 pm Tuesday she was in a lot of pain post-surgery, at 5:00 pm Wednesday she was home feeling good. My dad stayed at the hospital sitting up in a chair all night, I think his recovery will take longer than hers.

TK

No comments: