Sunday, March 25, 2012

cheap...

5:34am flight-time.  Like last Saturday, fully loaded.  Destination...?  My loose plan was just to head west, then NW, then make an in-ride decision as to what to do next.  I considered Stromsburg, but made it to just outside Shelby where I made "the turn".  I was having computer difficulties, partly self-inflicted, so my mileage was in question.  I was guessing I made the turn at around 70, but I think it was more like 65ish.
thick Seward Co. white rock...
Skirted Rising City & David City just to the South, then the Southern edge of Brainard and into the Bohemian Alps.  Working my way in, trying to stay West of Valpo to avoid coming into Lincoln by Kawasaki.  I hate ending a ride with that buzzkill approach to town.  Ended up coming in on W. VanDorn, it worked.
gravelly double-track freeway...
Mentioned I was fully loaded.  With the exception of 4 "natural" breaks in the first 4 hours (guess I was hydrated, huh), I didn't make any refuel stops.  Had everything I needed on board.  Ate three PowerBar Triple Threat's, 4 Hammer Solids, 2 GU's, a bagel with peanut butter, & a little over 100 oz. of water.  Convenience stores are time/avg. killers, you think your just there for a couple minutes & before you know it 20 has gone by.  So I'm going to call this, and last Saturday's jam, self-supported outings. 8 hours 26 minutes door to door.  8 hours 16 minutes (guessing) was spent riding, oh yeah!  Money spent while on the ride...zero dollars.  Cheap.  Did I want a soda & chips from a convenience store from hour 6 on?  Hell yeah I did!
some exposed B's were dry & fast...
I had sort of planned, sort of, to loop around and try to cross paths with those on the "bang a gong" ride.  By 10:00ish though I was way up by Shelby & it it was obvious it just wasn't happening.  Bet it was a good time, what a beautiful day.  I've got the sunburn to prove it...


hey guys!  btw - there is a thin wire fence on the side of the road...
Later,

tk

No comments: