Tuesday, September 27, 2011

plus 2...

Between getting home after midnight yesterday & the weekend's efforts, I'm still dragging ass. I was up yesterday morning at 4:30am hosing down my muddy bike clothes & shoes in the driveway before work. Work sucked.  After work I spent 2 hours getting the bikes back to the living, I hate mud.

Where did the summer go?  Saturday it'll be October already.

A bit longer version of the weekend...by virtue of a 4th place finish in last year's overall 45+ series, I was fortunate to line up on the front row for this year's Sunny-P series opener in WI.  This course & venue are the best in the series.  They've had a few years to dial it in & it's dialed, on multiple levels.  I'm not the fastest guy on the front, I may not even be the the 4th fastest guy on the front but I'm the guy who's usually there when one of the fast guys is having a "not my day" moment.  Sometimes I have "my day" but I'm more of a fit-opportunist, stay fast, consistent & see what plays out in front of you.

Saturday's start was a mess, TP & I lined up next to each other in the middle & got swallowed up by riders on both sides pinching inward.  Unsure how nobody went down on that one?  Track was dry & fast.  This being my first race of the year, I had a couple moments during the first lap where I said to myself, "oh shit, you can't keep up this pace", but it passed & I got down to the task at hand.  I'm not a fan of only racing 40 minutes, Saturday was no exception.  I had brought back the guy in 5th, losing to him by inches at the line in a sprint & 4th was just ahead.  Needed one more lap...

Always great seeing familiar faces & meeting new people.

Sunday was a mess.  My first lap was forgettable. Yard sale dropping into the shire.  By the time I had the sloppy course figured out...race over.  I had probably dropped back to around 20-25th at some point & had to pick my way back through the field.  I'm calling 12th a victory (I don't really believe that).

Omaha Saturday, FoCo the following.

Later,

TK

No comments: