Monday, May 16, 2011

royal fail...

I'll spare you the long version & get right to the point. I bailed at mile 100.77. I was with the lead group of 5 up until about mile 85, popped, & by mile 90 entered a dark place. It's bonkin' time. I stopped to try to get some food in me, my hands were so cold I couldn't open a Clif Bar, dropped it twice. I spent a couple minutes struggling to open a zip-lock with my cues in it & before I knew it I was starting to shake, core temp dropping. Uh oh! I failed to mention it was raining a lot of the ride, temps in the 40's, & windy. Got back on the bike, but now I was cold & still in the low blood sugar trouble zone. Fatal error...I had no candy with me. I need sugar, now!!! For 10 miles I wobbled down the roads in a haze until I stumbled upon Josh Stamper's oasis, dismounted & quit. Bummer. Not happy about it, but that's the way it goes.

Tremendous respect for those that completed the journey in the g-narliest of conditions. The Nebraska crew kicked ass. NE finishers were C-bread, Rafal (first SS), Aaron G., & Malcolm (also SS). Schmidty's bike failed him early in the 100 mile event & had to call it a day at mile 40, shit.

Skogen & crew...killer event, thank you! I'll always be back.

raining on the way there...
downtown Ames coffee stop...
good times...
c-bread's provisions...
friday evening shakedown...
pizza, down town Spring Valley...
Malcolm & crew, 60 to go...
needs a bit of love...
my provisions, returned with a case of local...
Later,

TK

No comments: