Saturday, May 9, 2009

hundee, the wierd way...

Today's plan...a lot like last Saturday, ride up to an area mtb race check out my peeps racing & then keep riding.  At least it gives me a destination to start with. Hadn't even made it to Walton on the Mopac & I see a couple bikes up the trail. As I got closer I discovered it was a pair of JT's.  I knew they were headed to Platte but the last I heard they were going to roll HWY 6. Anyway...we hooked up & the three of us continued our journey.
Last year Coach, Craigio, & myself rode our road bikes up to this same race.  I'd never been there & Coach led me out on a lap on our Lemond Zurich carbon road bikes, no problem.  This year I was on my CX bike & set out for my annual lap on a non-mtb bike.  The circuit was in primo condition & I was going around at a pretty good clip.  As I approached "the rock garden" section I prematurely looked up the trail to pick my line, wham!  I smacked a lunar/lava looking rock & over the bars.  As I landed my front tire lets out a big gasp of air to add insult to the situation.  Hell...its May, right? I had to get my crash in didn't I?  2009 crash update:  I've now crashed in 4 out of 5 months.  I got up, fixed my flat & took off again.  No problem.
I watched a few laps, TP came up from KS again.  Apparantly he had hit the deck as well, how do I know this?  The chunk of dirt stuck in his helmet gave him away.  Scooter also made the journey to test out his mtb skills up here since most KS trails are under water.  C-bread blew apart the 3 hour race & Craigio had a solid ride for never riding at Platte before.  Throw MT in the mix & our team had quite the turnout.  As I'm preparing to leave & continue my journey, the phone rings.  It's Coach, "where you at?"  He's in Lincoln & I'm at Platte, which is closer to Omaha than Lincoln.  The plan...lets meet in Ceresco.  I take off on what turned out to be my 31 mile journey to Ceresco, into the wind. Below: I captured pictures of the I-80 crossing I did a few weeks ago, this time I did it South going North.  Waiting for a gap...
Looking back after a 2nd succesful construction zone I-80 crossing...
Hooked up in Ceresco & headed back towards Lincoln, wind at our backs (sort of) just enjoying this beautiful day on the bike.

102.6

We'll see what tomorrow brings...

TK




1 comment:

ScottyD said...

Hell I crashed 4 times today! Damn Blue trail! I did though end up with hours that would make you proud 6:42 to be precise, longest saddle time ever all for a whopping 50 miles..Damn Blue Trail!